After all my serious product reviews, raising beauty related issues articles , I thought of giving a shot a light-hearted and fun post. I have spent few months of my life watching What’s in my Purse videos and remember having so much fun watching them. So I thought of doing one myself in a blog post form and of course a video related to this post will be up too shortly. But I thought of starting first with my makeup pouch then a separate post for ” What’s in my bag” 😀
So here is what you will find inside my makeup pouch
I carry 2 makeup pouches in my purse and one mini brush holder. The first one I have is the Jane Iredale Makeup Pouch that came along with the starter kit Basharacare sent to me. Check the related post here. The second I have is the Givenchy makeup pouch which I received as a gift upon purchasing from Sephora. These two are my favorite makeup bags, awesome quality and very classy. The third is a mini brush holder that I used to hold my spooly and the pencil products I have.
Products: Try clicking the names of the products to see the detailed review I did( if I did). Some I haven’t reviewed yet, so obviously it won’t be linkable.
This spray has been so helpful and handy. Dubai’s weather will either cook your skin or melt it down. This spray is so refreshing at the same time so hydrating that going out of the house without this has become impossible.
3. L.A Girl Matte Pigment Gloss : Lately I have been obsessed with matte lippies and this brand has topped my list,so is the reason you will find this in my purse. I carry with me a nude shade , ready for times when I need to leave the house hurriedly without any makeup on, this lip product will just do its job when I am in the car.
For some reasons I started liking this mascara for everyday use when I am in mood of having just a natural look. It is also ideal for touch ups if I’d need to or if I needed to do my makeup in the car and the size is so travel friendly and can be tossed easily from one bag to the other.
5. Essence Brow Mascara: This brow mascara is one brow product that I have reached to a lot lately and one of the most important as anytime my brows can deceive me and won’t be in place ,so I need this to put them back in shape. Can’t get enough of this. My eyebrows are so stubborn.
6. Sephora Makeup remover- My holy grail makeup remover esp for my eyes. I will definitely write a detailed review on this. Very much handy to be in purse if you would need to clean up some makeup mess on your beautiful face.
7. Jergens Hand cream- Who doesn’t need a handcream in the purse?
8. Evidence L’Eau De Parfum- Since it is the only travel sized perfume I own, it was the first to be in my purse. Not to mention the heavenly scent! It is just a wow.
9. Oil Control Film – If you have an oily skin, girl you need this.
10. Hand Sanitizer
11. Wet tissues
12. Some eyeliners and lip liners which is inside the mini brush kit.
13. Spooly for my brows
14. Random stuff as hair bands, bangles, scarf pins, Q-tips etc.
So these are all you will find in my makeup kit. I have one separate brush for my blush but I put that in my purse as it won’t fit in my pouches. Hope you guys enjoyed looking at the stuff inside my makeup purse. If you have a similar post to this, do tag me and I will check it out.
A lot of friends and random ladies from few social media groups I am part of, ask me about “makeup” and most commonly asked questions are:
How to apply make up?
What is a concealer?
Is concealer and highlighter the same?
Which one to apply first?
I have watched a lot of you tube videos but they apply a lot of products that I loose track then. Can you please tell me what should I buy etc.
So I have decided to do a series on Make up “How to’s ” and split it into different posts to make it specific. I will be covering everything from steps on how to apply makeup and will suggest products ideal for each skin type. So I’m sharing with you all my foundation routine.
I’m not an expert or any kind of beauty guru but playing with make up has given me enough experience that I can share with you all about it.This is simply how I do it and you can do it your way too with a little of information from here. 🙂
Today I’ll be sharing with you all my foundation routine but with a little variation to generalize it.
1. Face Primer (optional)– For me , this is optional as I personally think face primer is one overrated and unnecessary beauty product. Yes, you hear me right. Most of the time my make up routine does not include any face primer because the moisturizer I applied is good enough to work as a primer and holds my makeup for longer time. I’m not saying I don’t own a single primer, I do and that too, a lot! 😛 (I’m just a makeup addict so I need everything LOL). Okay so moving on, Face primer helps makeup to stay long, smooths skin as it covers pores(silicone base ones usually do this job) and prevents natural facial oil from showing up. I have a combination to oily skin, more towards oily and let me tell you, none of the face primers really made THAT difference that I can say “Oh wow, my skin is perfect now” I get the same result even with just moisturizer. It’s really totally up to you. If face primer will give you the confidence, then go ahead use it.
After applying the face primer, wait for like a minute then move on to the next step.
Suggested Face Primers : Though I’m an advocate of drugstore products, I still will give the option of high-end too as many of you might prefer only pricey ones. There are plenty of face primers out there offered by every brand but I’ll mention those that I have used.
M.A.C Matte Cream
Benefit Porefessional- For pore prone skin
Urban Decay Pore Perfecting for combination to oily skin
NYX Shine killer- Ideal for oily skin
Rimmel Stay matte for oily skin
Babyskin by Maybelline
2. Corrector (optional)- We use color correctors to cover any discoloration in our face , like dark circles, blemishes etc. Correctors do some heavy-duty job with your imperfections. There is a proper color for a certain discoloration you have to get a flawless look. Check this post to know how to cover all those unwanted colors on your skin. You may apply this using any concealer brush but I prefer using my fingers esp when I’m working under my eyes.
Suggested Color Correctors by me: I would suggest palettes than individual colors. NYX color correcting palettes, BH cosmetics corrector & concealer palette, Wet n Wild Coverall, MAC Pro Concealer Palette,
3.Foundation/BB cream- After covering all those colors that make your skin color uneven, it is now time to apply your foundation which you have bought according to your skin type and color(obviously). Normally I just like to grab my BB cream instead of foundation. I’ll go for foundation in case I want more coverage than usual. You may apply foundation using your fingers, makeup brush or beauty blender. For those who do not know what beauty blender is, it is the Holy Sponge everyone has been raving about. You just need to check what suits you more. I use my foundation brush.
4. Concealer- concealer is needed to cover any imperfection that your corrector haven’t really covered. In my case , I do not need any concealer whenever I use the corrector. When I do not use corrector, I usually need some concealer then to get that flawless look. Not unless you have a lot to cover, you will need both. You must be wondering how your face would look with all these products. 😀 Do not worry about that, always apply minimum amount of corrector and concealer to avoid caking up. Apply using a concealer brush or fingers and dab gently on areas you need them.
Suggested Concealers by me: L.A Girl Pro concealer, e.l.f concealer and highlighter, Maybelline Age rewind, Benefit Fake up, Nars Radiant creamy concealer.
5.Face Powder to set– Face powder is very important as you will need this to set all those products you applied from 1 to 4. Powders can be pressed ones or the loose ones. I always prefer loose powder as I have oily skin but at times I used matte pressed powders too. There are just plenty out there to choose from according to your skin type.
Suggested Face powder by me: e.l.f HD loose powder, Prestige loose powder, Rimmel Stay matte pressed powder, Bodyshop pressed powder, Make up forever HD Powder.
6. Bronzer (Optional)– This is so optional for me as I am very much happy with how my skin color is after all my make up and I don’t need any kind of “browns” at all. However I need a blush! I use bronzer occasionally when I would want a light contouring. But almost everyone uses that nowadays, so go ahead if you want to be part of the gang. Bronzers, I personally think are for those who are pale if not almost, to add some color to the skin because after applying all the products from steps 1 to 5, one can end up looking so “colorless” & “white” if you know what I mean.
Suggested Bronzers by me: Smashbox, Physician’s Formula, Nars, Burjois, Rimmel Natural Bronzer, Bobbi Brown
7. Blush- Like I mentioned in previous step, after applying all those products you will actually cover all the natural color that God has gifted you so it is important that you mimic the color that your cheeks have and so is the reason you need a blush and anyway it is always nice to have those ideal “rosy cheeks” ❤
Suggested Blush by me: Sleek palette, Nars blush, e.l.f baled blush, NYX, Tarte
8. Highlighter(Optional)- Again this is optional for me as I have applied makeup tons of times years ago, way before highlighters were even invented and I think I still looked pretty without a highlighter :P. 😉 Just that, with everyone talking about it, you can’t ignore this products specially after what it does to makeup. Highlighter is a product that actually highlights areas of the face that is hit by light like upper cheeks, brow bones, T-Zone, chin and cupid bow. You either highlight using shimmery highlighters or any matte powder 2 shades lighter than your skin. Highlighting is given a very interesting name “strobing” nowadays just so you know if you don’t yet. The highlighters used for strobing are shimmery that will give a subtle shine to all those areas I mentioned above and Illuminators are used for the same purpose of giving your cheeks that extra glow.
Related Terms: Stobing, Illuminator
Suggested Highlighters by me: NYX Illuminator , Bobbi Brown, Too faced, The Balm Mari lou manizer, Naked Flushed palette, Color Pop Highlighter
You must be wondering where is the ‘wonder’ contouring step! Well I just didn’t feel like including it here, as a beginner ,trust me you don’t need that for now.
To see what else I’ll be including in this series, check this post.
This rule is universal. Before working on something, let’s say painting. The painter prepares all things he needs like paints, paint brushes , cleaner etc. and for these,he would need a clean canvas. Similarly, before applying makeup , we need a clean face which would be our canvas. 🙂 There are few steps you need to follow to prepare your skin for this. Each and very routine will be elaborated in a separate post, and will be linked directly.
How I prepare my skin:
Wash face using my face wash.
Apply face toner
How I prep my lips:
Exfoliate (Click here to make your own lip exfoliator at home)
Apply lip conditioner/moisturizer/balm
Wait for around 2 to 3 minutes before starting your make up.I have combination to oily skin and if you want to know my skincare routine,check here.
Step by step make up guide:
Please note that the steps mentioned in this post is what I have been following and not necessarily the same as others. Everyone has their own ritual to follow depending on what suits them and what works for them better. You may want to change these steps too once you are familiar with these. I believe in “no rules makeup” but a guidance won’t harm a beginner.
After prepping my skin, I move on to doing my eyes.
Okay don’t get me wrong. Just want to make this clear that I’m not promising anyone that I’ll be posting about my monthly favorites as there is no guarantee if I’d like a certain product for only one month. I might cling on to any of my beauty goody for a year ,so no, I can’t be part of the gang doing monthly faves.
So sharing with you all my current favorites. Here are the products I’ve been using a lot lately as they have won my heart,won my skin and won my pocket. 😀 (Kidding) My favorites will not be any conventional “My July Favorites” kind of post. You won’t find a lot of overpriced high-end products with fancy packaging, latest released product by brands or whatsoever. But you will find genuinely loved items by me. ❤
So here are my favorites …
1. Avon Mattifying day cream– Engrave this words somewhere because I mean it. This moisturizer is by far the best that suited my skin. I have tried many, as in literally many products out there just to find the right moisturizer for my oily skin. Those days when I was selling Avon, I got to try this one as I received as a gift. Ever since then , I kept on buying. It is not greasy at all, won’t make skin oily, doesn’t give that artificial matte finish and at the same time hydrating. This is just perfect.
2. L.A Girl Pro concealer– It’s been raved about everywhere, and only after using it myself I understood why. For the price it offers, this concealer is a miracle. Firstly it has plenty of shades to choose from and secondly the coverage is really good and the formula is just perfect. Not too thin and not too thick to make you look cakey.
3. Powder Brush by Make up for you– Never heard of this brand right? It is just a random brush set I picked from an online store, they looked really good and so I thought of giving them a try. I got a set of 24 pcs brush and I must say they are very good. And some of the brushes have become my favorites like the spooly, angled brow brush and this powder brush. It is very soft, big and just the thing I need to apply loose powder or blush. Who says you need to buy Sigma brushes all the time?
4. Real techniques brush- I have almost all of the RT brushes, and I love all of them except for very few. The foundation brush is what I use all the time. The bristles are soft, dense and do not shed. Very durable that even after several wash, they are still intact!
5. NYX eye shadow base- Check this post here to know why it is my favorite.
6. Prestige Invisible Loose Powder- Once again, another product I haven’t heard anyone talking about. I got it for aed75 from Debenhams and since that day has been my go to powder.
7. NYX The Curve Eyeliner- If you are looking for the right eyeliner to give you that perfect flick for your cat eye look, then get this one. You will know why I raved about it here.
8. Valcena Paris- Natural Rose Absolute -Eye Contour Roller Glace- I’ve been taking care of my skin a lot lately, though late but better than never. I’ve been focusing on anti-ageing skincare products specials for my eye area. Ever since I got this eye cream, it is what I have been grabbing every time I need to pamper my eyes. Check its details here.
9. Lip Balm and Face Mask from Utama Spice- And just recently I shared with you all a detailed review on my recent discovery of pure and natural products. Utama Spice has a lot to offer and if you are into cruelty-free products ,I’m sure you will love these. The lip balm is my dry lip savior. I have very dry lips and so is the reason why usually matte lipsticks do not suit me. But I love matte lippies, so I had to find something to battle this dryness. Tried a lot of lip balms and mostly just made my lips even drier. Utama Spice lip balm did wonder though. The face mask is a must have for oily skin. It sucks all the dirt our of those pores.
10. Urban Decay Smoked Palette- I know I said no high ends, but I actually usually forget this belongs to the costlier brands as it was a gift from Ebeautique, ❤ and not unless something breaks your pocket, you don’t realize it is luxury brand 😛
11. Watch from New look- Last but not the least my watch. I love it . I love all the sparkles it has. Got it for AED65 on sale from New Look few months ago. Been wearing this a lot lately.
So these are my favorites for now , hope I didn’t bore you with all the 11 items.
Hold on there! We are not talking about sex here. In fact today’s post is going to be a bit different than the usual one I do.
I always wondered and wanted to ask people behind naming the make up products’ shades. Why on earth do they have such name that even I myself can’t utter. It is so rate PG! With a 4 year old son who starts joining phonic sounds where ever he sees a word, I just ended up hiding all my rated PG stuff.
Lipstick shades such as Sex Machine by Nars, Kinda Sexy , Pervette, Fetish, Lickable by M.A.C, Drive Me Nude by Rimmel, Orgasm by Nars and many more are so common. Like seriously, I feel like either they are out of nice and decent names or they are just teasing us. If they think women will be attracted to such names, then hey, they are wrong. With such names only men will be attracted who aren’t even related to make up at all. Sometimes I wonder, why do they incorporate sex with makeup. Simple answer. Sex sells!
The banners, posters, packaging …they are all displaying women as sex objects.
The Balm is so rich with such creepy names, Sexy Mama, Hot Mama and so on. Talk about the pictures in the packaging, you seriously got to keep them away somewhere.
There is this mascara that was so much raved about by everyone in the world of beauty and so I rushed to Sephora to grab one for myself. I was attended my a male assistant and I hated that moment when I couldn’t just tell him I want the Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara in reply to his question, “How may I help you?”
These are just few creepy names that I mentioned ,there are plenty out there in the market. The latest that shocked me was Soap & Glory’s “Sexy Mother Pucker” Lipstick Can’t say anything about this.
I guess they should just stick to cute and decent names. It’s not about kids seeing those weird banners,posters and packaging or reading names they shouldn’t be reading at this age. It’s about decency, I wouldn’t be able to give my mom or my mom-in-law the “Sexy Mama” blush when they need one to borrow. The name ,the picture is definitely inappropriate. You know what I mean? I can’t let any elder of the family see my “Better than Sex” Mascara , I wouldn’t want anyone to know I own any make up that has such names. Might not be a big deal to many but it is a big deal at this side of the world.
I am by no means trying to target any brand, but I believe I have the right to express myself as these very products are being sold to me, I use them, I am the consumer and I think I have the right.
With that being said, I’d like to wind up this post by saying that no doubt most of the above mentioned products are of very good quality and are worth buying only if they try to have different names in future.