We women are so different from one another. While some would prefer vanilla latte(like me) , some would want to have black coffee. With makeup, it is totally the same formula. Some would want to have full makeup in their collection. would apply almost each and every item and go through the hassles of blending the colors of eyeshadows to getting the right amount of highlighter and bronzer while some would rather stay away from all of them and prefer having eyeliner , blush and a lip gloss only.
Then there are those who knows that makeup runs in their blood and are sure that’s what they are going to live for LOL (exaggeration but I’m sure you know what I mean). But every girl has to go through the dilemma of deciding which beauty product should be in her makeup kit , as a beginner. With many friends and acquaintances seeking help on this topic , I decided to give my share of advice or suggestion.
My makeup beginner kit is very simple. I believe in keeping only what you need if you are just starting with makeup for the following reasons: (later on you can keep stuff that you even do not need :P)
you might be on a budget
you wouldn’t want to spend on something you never know how it would turn out to be.
you might want something then realize that you don’t really need that after purchasing.
the lesser products , the easier to learn and master your skills on them.
So we have all the good reasons to keep it very less.
Here is what you need:
a lipstick or lip gloss- If you are wise ,get both the items for the price of one. Check out which dual lip gloss I am rocking at the moment, here .
bb cream- applying foundation is a skill. I suggest getting yourself BB cream as it is easy to work with , no trick needed to apply that and not much of problem with shade. Once you are familiar applying this, go ahead and get your choice of foundation. You seriously do not need a face primer even as a pro, let alone beginner. (that’s another issue I’m going to touch later). Prep your skin before applying your makeup by applying moisturizer, it will work as primer and keep your makeup there all day long. Use your fingers to apply this and you are done.
blush- Do no get carried away and buy a lot of colors. Choose a shade you think you’d like and good for everyday wear whether day or night.
eyeshadow(Optional)- I labelled this as optional depending on what you really like. Some would want to just finish their makeup with eyeliner on, while some would want to get their hands on some eyeshadows. So choose a small palette with warm shades for a starter as they are easy to work with. No fear of looking so overwhelming.( what I have in the picture is NYX Love in Paris)
eyeshadow brush- Get yourself one eyeshadow brush and one blending brush.
mascara- Mascara is very important and shouldn’t be miss no matter what. Even if you are going for a makeup-free look, I suggest apply mascara in that case too. It helps eyes pop open and give it more wider/awakening look.
eyeliner- No matter how we love gel liners as we see those perfect cat winged eyes, hold your excitement and get yourself pencil eyeliner for now. Anyway you wouldn’t be jumping on to creating that cat wing as a beginner, right? So make life easy and use pencil for now.
concealer- A must have. you will need this to cover obvious imperfections as your BB cream might not do the job of covering everything.
pressed powder- You need a powder to set your BB cream, for that choose one that suits your skin type.
powder brush – to be used for blush and powder if you are using loose powder.
angled brush- to give your eyebrows that perfect shape.
spooly- my favorite brush to tame my brows before outlining them.
Hope you enjoyed looking at my beginner’s kit. What’s yours? Do you think I missed anything?
Don’t know anything about makeup? Do you want to learn how to apply makeup? Don’t worry, we got you covered. My blog has a huge section for beginners and so I decided to put together all those posts in one to make it easy for everyone. I hope all your questions will be answered in these posts. All you have to do is take out time and have patience going through them. This post will prepare you for something very exciting I have planned. Feel free to contact me throughhere or on Facebook.
Finally we are here today for the last segment of the Makeup Series for Beginners and I had a step by step post on how to apply makeup a month ago and split it up into different segments. Foundation Routine, Eye Routine and today we have the Lips Routine.
You will find below how I apply my lipstick/lip gloss and what steps I follow when preparing my lips for that.
Steps in order:
Exfoliate lips- Make it a habit to exfoliate your lips. Lipstick makes dry and chapped lips more visible hence to avoid that, exfoliate regularly. While there are many lip exfoliators/scrubs available in the market, I use my very own home-made lip scrub. Do you want to make your own too? Click the picture to know how.
2. Condition Lips- Always condition your lips. Keep it hydrated all the time to avoid gross flaky dry skin. There are plenty of lip conditioners and balms in the market and one very reasonable option for that is Vaseline also known as Petroleum Jelly. You do not have to spend a fortune on lip balms. You can find it in all price range. My favorite lip balm at the moment is from Utama Spice. click the picture below to know why.
3.Line lips- Lining my lips is very important for me. By doing this, I am giving my lips a more defined shape and outline at the same time prevents lipstick from smearing around lips. Make this a habit and always include in your makeup routine. Use lip liner that matches your lipstick shade ,if not the closest.
Lip liner suggestions: Get any lip liner from drugstore to high-end, it doesn’t really matter as they perform the same way. I have from NYX, Essence, NARS, Misslyn etc.
4. Apply lipstick / lip gloss- Last step is to apply your desired lipstick or lip gloss. Lip products come either with matte or glossy finish. It is totally on you which you prefer. Nowadays I am more into matte lipsticks as I find them more long-lasting and they hold on to your lips very well that they don’t smear all over. I like the look of matte more but occasionally I love wearing my glossy lipsticks too if I go for light eye makeup , I like keeping my lipstick dark and shiny then. The same way, Lip glosses nowadays have come in matte formula and is very much “in” and are commonly known as Lip cremes. L.A Girl matte lip pigments are my favorites. Click the picture to know why. While lip cremes are ruling over the beauty world currently, one cannot resist the charm of lip gloss. The touch of that shine is what a girl needs most of the time. So always experiment and understand what you like. As I mentioned earlier, there is no rules to makeup. You can even give your glossy lips a touch of matte by following this method.
Lipstick/lipgloss suggestions: NYX, Maybelline have very good options of lip products both matte and glossy , however you can find equally good in other brands like L.A Girl, Sleek, Mikyaji, Givenchy, Anastasia Beverly Hills etc.
You just need to explore the market and do not hesitate to try to experiment on new products as you will find hidden gems there. ❤
Other lip products such as lip primer and lip concealer are very unnecessary in my point of view. Apply your lip liner all over lips , it will act as base for your lipstick and will cover your lips’ natural pigmentation acting as lip concealer. Continue reading “Makeup Series- Lips Routine for Beginners”→
So here is a continuation of my previous post regarding face/foundation routine ,dedicated specially for makeup beginners. ❤
CLICK ON THE PICTURES BELOW TO READ THE DETAILED REVIEWS.
Today we will be knowing about “Eye routine” and information I am sharing here with you all is what I do when I apply makeup. As many of the beautiful and lovely ladies, keep asking me questions related to makeup, I thought why not dedicate a whole series to you all.
Please Note: I’m not an expert or any kind of beauty guru but playing with make up has given me enough experience that I can share with you all about it.This is simply how I do it and you can do it your way too with a little of information from here. 🙂
So moving on to the step by step guide, here is what you need to do.
First of all there is no rules as to which one should be done first. Face makeup or the eyes. So it is totally up to you which one you prefer. I personally like doing my eyes first because I usually do a lot of bold makeup and end up having fall outs, applying foundation after, helps a lot as I can still clean them then.
I really need to highlight this part just to make sure you don’t miss this point. As I will be suggesting products too that is suitable for beginners, please don’t expect me to be talking about Urban Decay Naked palettes. Because I won’t! As a beginner, I will never suggest anyone to go for high-end options as you will be doing trial and errors initially , you will need to get the feel of “it”first, you might not want to continue applying eyeshades etc and so spending a lot on high-ends for this purpose is just not practical. If you see your idol or friend that you look up to using UD or Lorac and they look so pretty, you do not have to go and get those palettes without thinking. They looked good because they applied makeup well. So you need to practice first and you will get those looks with any drugstore palette. If you have lots of money to waste, then go ahead. 😀
Primer or Eyeshadow base- While I can live without using face primer, it is not the case with my eyes. I need some kind of prep for my eyes too. For that I use eyeshadow base. I have two favorite ones, that is the Lancome and NYX eyeshadow base. I use either one of them depending on the makeup that I am doing . If I am using bright shades I always like applying white eyeshadow base as this will intensify the color more, if I am doing neutral or smokey makeup I am fine with my beige eyeshadow base. Eye shadow base acts as a primer too and some are 2 in 1, primer+base like NYX eyeshadow base. You don’t have to go for primer and base separately. DO NOT BUY PRIMER AND BASE SEPARATELY NO MATTER HOW MUCH PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU TO. It is purely unnecessary. Buy yourself NYX white eyeshadow and it will work for both bright as well as neutral shades. NYX Jumbo pencil is ideal thing for this too. Very affordable and works perfectly. What? You think I missed mentioning the Urban Decay eye primer? No, I didn’t miss it. I just don’t want to suggest any unnecessary stuff to you. (Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against this brand, it’s just that , they are very costly specially for beginners and you get equally good products in the drugstore range) If you think that your eyeshadow is not having good pigmentation and that the color isn’t showing up then refer to this video on tricks to make the color pop using white eyeshadow base.
Suggested Eye Primers and base: NYX Jumbo pencil in Milk, NYX eyeshdow base in pot, Wet n Wild take on the day Prep and Prime(also considered as dupe of Urban Decay Prime Potion)
2. Eyeshadow palettes- I would really ask you to get palettes instead of individual eyeshades because,
a. It is economical
b. You get to play with few more colors and see what suits you.
Regarding which eyeshades should you get, cool tones or warm. It totally depends on your choice. But initially, I’d suggest you to get a palette with more of warm tones, like browns, grays, taupe etc because they are easy to work with and won’t be overwhelming for those who just started this journey. Practice with that single palette and once you feel the urge of trying out some bold colors, that is when you can really tell that you have practiced enough to be able to wear other colors confidently. So go ahead and get the colors you want to rock. Remember, applying eyeshadows need a lot of practice and there can never be a point in life when you can say ” I don’t need to practice anymore as I am an expert already” because you need to practice constantly to get a look you want. Even renowned MUA’s would practice a look they would want to do on their brides. If you think you are an expert, then this post is just not for you. 🙂
Get yourself mattes shades first as shimmery will be kind of tricky for beginners, however there is no restrictions. Just that mattes look good mostly and are easy to work with.
Suggested Eyeshadow Palettes: I’m not going to mention the names of the palettes as tehre are many, but I would definitely mention the brands so it is easy for your guys to check. I guess 4 suggestions are enough.
Coastal scents eyeshadow palettes-they have plenty of palettes to offer for a very good price and quality. If you live in U.A.E, you can buy this brand from Alshop.com.
. Nyx paletts- from Lifestyle for U.A.E residents
Wet n Wild- from Lifestyle for U.A.E residents
Morphe Brushes Eyeshadow palettes- From online stores , check this post for details.
3. Eyeliner- Eyeliners are everyone’s favorite. I mean even those girls who say they don’t wear makeup at all, have eyeliners in their collection along with lip glosses.
There are varieties of eyeliners, gel liners, pencils, kohls, pen, markers and what not. I personally think the easiest to apply are the pencil eyeliners as a beginner. Gel eyeliner has to be applied using a brush and that might get very challenging for newbies, similarly the pens and marker ones can get too messy. So ideally a beginner should have the pencil ones. Eyeliners come in different colors and so I won’t restrict you to only black however black is a must have.
Suggested eyeliners: Again, I’ll mention only brands. I have used the ones listed below and loved them. So next time you head to lifestyle, do explore these brands. 🙂
1. NYX Blackest black
4. Mascara- The makeup industry just have the solution to everyone’s problem specially a beautiful woman’s issues of having very short and thin lashes like myself. So you need not worry now because there is this one mascara in the market that will do the trick for you. Getting the right mascara for myself has been a long journey for me as there were many hits and misses. Though I’ll suggest mascaras that I think are good, you will still need to find the right one for yourself. I think mascara is a very personal thing. It is not always that some random person gave a good review on a certain mascara and it just worked for me. Never happened. There are always ticks to make some products work and this is my trick on how to achieve longer lashes using even the worst mascara you have. 🙂
Suggested Mascara by me: Essence have surprisingly good mascaras for aed12 to 25, Maybelline, Loreal, Revlon, Max Factor and of course Avon.
Don’t forget to do your brows. This will be entirely separate post. 🙂 For any questions, feel free to comment or email me at email@example.com or use the contact form below in case you do not want your comment seen.
A lot of friends and random ladies from few social media groups I am part of, ask me about “makeup” and most commonly asked questions are:
How to apply make up?
What is a concealer?
Is concealer and highlighter the same?
Which one to apply first?
I have watched a lot of you tube videos but they apply a lot of products that I loose track then. Can you please tell me what should I buy etc.
So I have decided to do a series on Make up “How to’s ” and split it into different posts to make it specific. I will be covering everything from steps on how to apply makeup and will suggest products ideal for each skin type. So I’m sharing with you all my foundation routine.
I’m not an expert or any kind of beauty guru but playing with make up has given me enough experience that I can share with you all about it.This is simply how I do it and you can do it your way too with a little of information from here. 🙂
Today I’ll be sharing with you all my foundation routine but with a little variation to generalize it.
1. Face Primer (optional)– For me , this is optional as I personally think face primer is one overrated and unnecessary beauty product. Yes, you hear me right. Most of the time my make up routine does not include any face primer because the moisturizer I applied is good enough to work as a primer and holds my makeup for longer time. I’m not saying I don’t own a single primer, I do and that too, a lot! 😛 (I’m just a makeup addict so I need everything LOL). Okay so moving on, Face primer helps makeup to stay long, smooths skin as it covers pores(silicone base ones usually do this job) and prevents natural facial oil from showing up. I have a combination to oily skin, more towards oily and let me tell you, none of the face primers really made THAT difference that I can say “Oh wow, my skin is perfect now” I get the same result even with just moisturizer. It’s really totally up to you. If face primer will give you the confidence, then go ahead use it.
After applying the face primer, wait for like a minute then move on to the next step.
Suggested Face Primers : Though I’m an advocate of drugstore products, I still will give the option of high-end too as many of you might prefer only pricey ones. There are plenty of face primers out there offered by every brand but I’ll mention those that I have used.
M.A.C Matte Cream
Benefit Porefessional- For pore prone skin
Urban Decay Pore Perfecting for combination to oily skin
NYX Shine killer- Ideal for oily skin
Rimmel Stay matte for oily skin
Babyskin by Maybelline
2. Corrector (optional)- We use color correctors to cover any discoloration in our face , like dark circles, blemishes etc. Correctors do some heavy-duty job with your imperfections. There is a proper color for a certain discoloration you have to get a flawless look. Check this post to know how to cover all those unwanted colors on your skin. You may apply this using any concealer brush but I prefer using my fingers esp when I’m working under my eyes.
Suggested Color Correctors by me: I would suggest palettes than individual colors. NYX color correcting palettes, BH cosmetics corrector & concealer palette, Wet n Wild Coverall, MAC Pro Concealer Palette,
3.Foundation/BB cream- After covering all those colors that make your skin color uneven, it is now time to apply your foundation which you have bought according to your skin type and color(obviously). Normally I just like to grab my BB cream instead of foundation. I’ll go for foundation in case I want more coverage than usual. You may apply foundation using your fingers, makeup brush or beauty blender. For those who do not know what beauty blender is, it is the Holy Sponge everyone has been raving about. You just need to check what suits you more. I use my foundation brush.
4. Concealer- concealer is needed to cover any imperfection that your corrector haven’t really covered. In my case , I do not need any concealer whenever I use the corrector. When I do not use corrector, I usually need some concealer then to get that flawless look. Not unless you have a lot to cover, you will need both. You must be wondering how your face would look with all these products. 😀 Do not worry about that, always apply minimum amount of corrector and concealer to avoid caking up. Apply using a concealer brush or fingers and dab gently on areas you need them.
Suggested Concealers by me: L.A Girl Pro concealer, e.l.f concealer and highlighter, Maybelline Age rewind, Benefit Fake up, Nars Radiant creamy concealer.
5.Face Powder to set– Face powder is very important as you will need this to set all those products you applied from 1 to 4. Powders can be pressed ones or the loose ones. I always prefer loose powder as I have oily skin but at times I used matte pressed powders too. There are just plenty out there to choose from according to your skin type.
Suggested Face powder by me: e.l.f HD loose powder, Prestige loose powder, Rimmel Stay matte pressed powder, Bodyshop pressed powder, Make up forever HD Powder.
6. Bronzer (Optional)– This is so optional for me as I am very much happy with how my skin color is after all my make up and I don’t need any kind of “browns” at all. However I need a blush! I use bronzer occasionally when I would want a light contouring. But almost everyone uses that nowadays, so go ahead if you want to be part of the gang. Bronzers, I personally think are for those who are pale if not almost, to add some color to the skin because after applying all the products from steps 1 to 5, one can end up looking so “colorless” & “white” if you know what I mean.
Suggested Bronzers by me: Smashbox, Physician’s Formula, Nars, Burjois, Rimmel Natural Bronzer, Bobbi Brown
7. Blush- Like I mentioned in previous step, after applying all those products you will actually cover all the natural color that God has gifted you so it is important that you mimic the color that your cheeks have and so is the reason you need a blush and anyway it is always nice to have those ideal “rosy cheeks” ❤
Suggested Blush by me: Sleek palette, Nars blush, e.l.f baled blush, NYX, Tarte
8. Highlighter(Optional)- Again this is optional for me as I have applied makeup tons of times years ago, way before highlighters were even invented and I think I still looked pretty without a highlighter :P. 😉 Just that, with everyone talking about it, you can’t ignore this products specially after what it does to makeup. Highlighter is a product that actually highlights areas of the face that is hit by light like upper cheeks, brow bones, T-Zone, chin and cupid bow. You either highlight using shimmery highlighters or any matte powder 2 shades lighter than your skin. Highlighting is given a very interesting name “strobing” nowadays just so you know if you don’t yet. The highlighters used for strobing are shimmery that will give a subtle shine to all those areas I mentioned above and Illuminators are used for the same purpose of giving your cheeks that extra glow.
Related Terms: Stobing, Illuminator
Suggested Highlighters by me: NYX Illuminator , Bobbi Brown, Too faced, The Balm Mari lou manizer, Naked Flushed palette, Color Pop Highlighter
You must be wondering where is the ‘wonder’ contouring step! Well I just didn’t feel like including it here, as a beginner ,trust me you don’t need that for now.
To see what else I’ll be including in this series, check this post.
This rule is universal. Before working on something, let’s say painting. The painter prepares all things he needs like paints, paint brushes , cleaner etc. and for these,he would need a clean canvas. Similarly, before applying makeup , we need a clean face which would be our canvas. 🙂 There are few steps you need to follow to prepare your skin for this. Each and very routine will be elaborated in a separate post, and will be linked directly.
How I prepare my skin:
Wash face using my face wash.
Apply face toner
How I prep my lips:
Exfoliate (Click here to make your own lip exfoliator at home)
Apply lip conditioner/moisturizer/balm
Wait for around 2 to 3 minutes before starting your make up.I have combination to oily skin and if you want to know my skincare routine,check here.
Step by step make up guide:
Please note that the steps mentioned in this post is what I have been following and not necessarily the same as others. Everyone has their own ritual to follow depending on what suits them and what works for them better. You may want to change these steps too once you are familiar with these. I believe in “no rules makeup” but a guidance won’t harm a beginner.
After prepping my skin, I move on to doing my eyes.